Strategic Prioritization and Positioning
External and internal analysis, Gap analysis.
1. Find an available position for your profit-centre/product.
2. Evaluate if this is an attractive position:
- Does it add significant value to custmers? Compare to the USPs in different segments. if no, restart.
- Would the price be reasonable to grow the market? if no, restart.
- Is it possible to reach your profit targets for this profit-centre? Remember to consider learning curves and economy of scale. if no, restart.
3. Check if the position is within strategic intent and expectations.if no, restart.
4. Conduct a detailed analysis of the consequence of the strategic position:
- How does the Value chain look like for someone taking the position?
- What key success factors must be on place to take the position?
- What part of your value chain fits/does not fit?
- Does the position fit with the core competencies?
- Is it likely that you can actually take this position within reasonable investements?
- Which activities should be removed, increased, reduced and created?
5. Define a position statement
6. Send the strategy-proposal to the next process.